Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Trimming the Fat

As some of you may have noticed, my Facebook account is gone. Yup, my family and I decided it was time to trim the fat and delete things that are not benefiting us as a family. Sure it's a way to stay in touch with family members and friends or to perhaps get back in touch with people from the past. However, we were just finding it ridiculous with the amount of drama that entails and not to mention the useless status updates! (Does the general population care that you ate at 'such and such' place with 'such and such' or that you are sitting and watching TV?!?!?) I suppose some folks might find that interesting or some may find constant updating from their Iphones/blackberries a good use of time, and to those people: All the more power to you!! For us, it just wasn't something we wanted to be a part of. For me personally, I MISS MY BLOG!!! I miss writing up meaningful posts about things that I find interesting and our lives. I love that I have far more freedom to write a post as long or as short as I want. If people want to read it, great! If not, then they don't!  I can share my passions and my frustrations. Clicking that delete button was so releasing!

There is always the good ol' fashioned phone and email to stay in touch and it's far more personal that way. I hate texting, really, really hate it. In fact, I would rather spend time having a root canal done than to sit there texting. :)

We are also drastically reducing other sources as well, like the TV! We don't really watch it that much anyways, but we are taking a more conscious approach to it and using it more as a tool rather than just 'something to do'. We all have our favourite shows and will watch those as well as some movies too. We have a ton of board games to enjoy and tons of books to read. For us, this just seems a far better use of our time and much more meaningful!

This is a good time of year to make some changes in your life, what are you guys going to change? Anyone want to share some goals?

Here's my list of Autumn Goals:
1. Get all my canning done and have a pretty good stocked storage. I also have dehydrating and freezing to tackle as well.

2. Organize our book shelves

3.Go through and shred old paperwork and files. (I'd imagine I don't need to hang onto our income tax from 1995, eh?!?)

4. Get my garden all prepped for the winter and get a good amount going in the compost bin for spring.

5. Clean and organize my sewing area so I can tackle the fall/winter sewing I need to do.

I'd love to hear what your Autumn plans are!!!

0 comments: