Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Has Arrived!

Brrrrrr, today certainly has had a chill to it. No snow (it's definitely not uncommon for us to have a bit of snow this time year), but it sure is brisk out there. The perfect day to whip up a batch of Pumpkin Spice muffins for dessert tonight. Oh how I love Pumpkin, and it's so super good for you!

Pumpkin has loads of vitamin A and is a great source of your B vitamins. Pumpkin is low in fat and low in calories. It is super easy to throw a scoop of raw pumpkin into almost any kind of muffin mix. We toss scoops of raw pumpkin into our oatmeal and add clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger with some maple syrup, for a awesome tasting breakfast. Pumpkins are also an antioxidant,  anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory!! You can also toss a scoop into your smoothie! I would use 1 cup of almond/soy/rice/hemp milk, a scoop of raw pumpkin, a good sprinkle of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and some crushed clove to make a warming Autumn evening snack

You can even use it in cookies! I have used it as a substitute for oil/butter in some recipes.
Hurray for the Pumpkin, a member of the Gourd family who's name means Large Melon in Greek.

Of course, let's not forget the pumpkin's other important job: serving as a Jack-o-Lantern at Halloween!!
That will be for a later post though.........

Onwards! I thought I would share the recipe I will be using for our DF/GF pumpkin pie. I just buy pre-made GF pie crusts from our local GF bakery. It is one time saver I don't hesitate to use, although I have successfully made GF pies from scratch.
Here ya go:
GF/DF/SF Pumpkin Pie

Speaking of GF, I learned the hard way that Kraft Marshmallows are NOT GF. I checked the ingredients and nothing looks Gluten so there must be cross contamination. However, Walmart (cough, choke) does in fact have GF marshmallows (which is why I wrongfully assumed that Kraft's would be fine too, even though nowhere on the package does it say that) which set me up for a week of agony. Ugh, I cannot believe I spent so much time like that and thought it was normal. YUCK! Thankfully, I am on the healing road now and I won't be making that mistake again! I also have every intention on mastering the art of marshmallow making, the bonfires just don't seem the same without!

Tonight for dinner is Cream of Tomato soup (thank goodness for my Vitamix!!) with grilled cheese sandwiches (we use raw, lactose free cheese, so far it has not negatively affected anyone) and fresh cut veggie sticks, the perfect meal for this cool Fall day! Yum!

I most likely won't be on until after the weekend since Bill has the next few days off, but I will be back mid-week next week and hopefully might even have some pics of our new dog!!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!

0 comments: